Want to give your Microsoft Windows 10 a new look, but don’t know How to install Themes in Windows 10. This article will be of great help in installing Microsoft and third-party themes. Windows 10 is a versatile platform when it comes to customization, it is capable of changing that flat Windows 10 desktop into something different entirely. Whether you want to stick to the safety of Microsoft’s official online theme collection or peruse some of the incredibly creative Windows 10 themes developed by different developers. You will find the simple step by step guide to install custom Windows 10 themes, along with all the necessary precautions. Here you can see how to install themes in windows 10 easily.
Once you learn how to install your own themes, make sure to check out our list of the best Windows 10 themes.
Microsoft and third-party Themes
Microsoft has developed only a few themes for Windows 10. However, there are other themes developed by independent designers that normally require a small software/patch. Please follow the following steps to install the themes of your choice.
Microsoft themes: How to install themes in Windows 10
Installation of Microsoft’s themes is pretty simple. Just follow the given steps:
- Download the desired theme either from the Microsoft website.
- Once the theme has downloaded, double-click on the downloaded “.themepack” file to add the theme to your theme library and click to apply it.
- Select the theme from the pane on the left of the personalization window or make your own adjustments to the existing one – like changing the font style, background, and colors.
Third-party themes: How to install themes in Windows 10
Windows do not allow the installation of third-party themes in windows. To install third-party themes, you need to patch the windows system files. Be careful patching the system files may be dangerous and precautionary measures should be taken. To deal with potential risk, it is strongly recommended that a system restore point should be created first. In case something goes wrong, the system restore point will help restore the windows to its previous stable state.
There are some applications available which will patch system files, and allow installation of third-party themes. Following applications may be helpful to install the 3rd party themes in the windows system:
- UxStyle is an application to remove the Windows theme signature requirement and enable the installation of custom themes.
- The application UXTehme Multi-Patcher allows the installation of non-certified visual styles.
- The application UltraUXThemePatcher is used to patch the system files which enables the installation of 3rd party themes in almost all versions of Windows.
To install the third-party themes in Windows, follow the given steps:
- Create a restore point. When you install a software patch, there are chances that the patch may nuke your system, and there’s a non-negligible chance of that happening. A restore point is good, but an image backup is even better.
- Download and install the system patcher application (discussed above) according to the guidelines available on the application’s website.
- Select and download the themes files you want to install available at Best Windows 10 themes and Skins.
- Copy theme files into “C:/Windows/Resources/Themes” folder.
- Select and click on the theme you want to apply from Control Panel’s Personalization menu.
How to change Themes in Windows 10
You can change the installed themes from the Personalization menu. Just right-click an empty space on the desktop background and click “Personalize”. Now select the desired theme under the heading Change Theme and click OK to apply.
It’s not too complicated to install new Windows 10 themes, though you need to be careful with the third-party themes, as doing the process wrong may corrupt the system files and your system may malfunction. With that in mind, have fun giving your Windows 10 desktop a fresh new face!